Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My choice has positive consequences

I am on a quick break in class and felt this uncontrolable urge to blog about something that happened recently. I have a very good friend that I had dinner with on Friday night. She knows I have been going to the LDS church and brought it up after dinner which, by the way, I now feel she planned the timing so that I wouldn't leave before our delicious food arrived but that is besides the point. My friend decided that she wanted to convince me that I was making the wrong decision even though she does not even attend church or claim to have faith. This absolutely breaks me heart because I know what I am doing is right for me. Before she could move on, I explained to her that everything she was about to say would have no effect on me and that it would be similar to me saying that my favorite color is purple and even though yours is pink, you should chose purple because its the only color I know...or something? It doesn't make sense to me why she would do this when I am clearly a happier person. Oh and the thing that just makes me absolutely crazy is that every argument was backed up by the whole don't drink coffee or soda pop idea. Is that all they think the LDS church is about? I was like "there is more to the church than that. And they don't ban it for fun and to control us...its a suggestion and preventable measure to ensure a healthier life." I couldn't let myself be subject to her behavior so I soon excused myself. I'm not mad at her this because I know she is not experiencing the joy I am and can not possibly understand why I'm accepting this; however, I am disappointed in her for trying to convince me to do otherwise without valid knowledge or reasoning. I understand that not everybody will accept or support my decision and these situations are really just road blocks but I know what I want and what I am going to do.

It hasn't been all bad though. I ran into a friend at church this last Sunday and she mentioned that the last time she saw me (at work), she noticed there was something different about me. I was like "well, I cut bangs?" After seeing me in church last weekend she confessed that I have a new "glow" to me and it was clearly because of my new faith and involvement in the LDS church. My mother has also made this much accepted accusation. I appreciate these positive people that are a part of my life.

In other news...I need to put together a video for the Alaska job interview. I am so hopeful I can get this job. I had a dream I cut my hair off the other night...I'm having Kenzie do my hair in a couple weeks and this may be a sign to do something drastic! What do you all think? I fit into my old "skinny" jeans this morning, so of course I wore them.

4 comments:

  1. keep your head up girl, you'll have a lot of people try to make you feel down about your decision. it sounds like you have your head in the right place!misssss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soooo much!! Are you going to be here this weekend?!? I definitely need some Kenzie time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEs i think so, i don't work saturday so thinking i'm going to slip home:) i best be seing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah!! You HAVE to come by the store cause I will be there all day. Then we should all go out to dinner and movie or play games or SOMETHING!!!

    ReplyDelete